Posted on: 24 June 2015
Mold can contribute to poor air quality in your home, in addition to being an eye sore. Here are some tips on how to get rid of this unwanted guest in your home.
Before you begin to treat a mold problem, be aware that mold spores can be toxic. As you clean, you may release more mold spores into the air that you could inhale. This is why it's important to wear a protective facial and eye mask, as well as gloves, while you are working.
Wash Fabrics with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has excellent antimicrobial properties, and it can quickly get stains and mold out of fabrics such as curtains and clothing. While doing a load of laundry, add a cup of apple cider vinegar in addition to your regular detergent.
Scrub Your Walls
If your walls have been primed, all that may be necessary is a good over-the-counter mold killing solution. You can scrub the walls with this treatment, and then be sure to dry the walls quickly with a fan.
Remove Moldy Drywall
In some cases, the mold will get deep into the walls and ruin parts of your drywall. It may not be necessary to remove the entire wall, because you can cut out just a portion of the wall. Use a knife to remove the section of drywall that has been damaged, and then use a quick-dry sealant to place a new piece.
Mold Sampling to Make Sure the Job is Done
Even once you clean the surface of walls and furnishings free of visible mold, there may still be mold present. In order to make sure that you've done a thorough job, consider taking spot samples and getting them tested for the presence of mold. This can be done with the help of the professional remediation service, or you can also purchase a mold testing kit for personal use.
Get it Done Professionally
While do-it-yourself methods are sometimes enough to get rid of mold once and for all, in many cases the mold will come back. This is because mold often penetrates more than just the surface of walls and other materials, making it hard to remove completely on your own. A good mold removal service will help you comprehensively remove mold from your home, and they can also be a great resource for helping you prevent mold in the future.Share