Posted on: 5 January 2023
Mold growth is almost inevitable in the presence of moisture from leaking roofs, windows, and pipes. It flourishes on wood products, ceiling tiles, sinks, and generally moist places. While it may seem harmless, mold poses health risks and allergies, such as itching, watery eyes, headache, and fatigue. Thus, regular residential mold removal is imperative for healthy living. Here are a few products you can use for DIY residential mold removal.
Who Should Do Mold Clean-Up?
You can clean up mold yourself or hire cleaning services to do the job. This decision will depend on the size of the mold problem. If the area covered by mold is less than 10 square feet, you can DIY the removal. With the help of the following products, it can be an easy task:
Chlorine bleach is used to clean stained fabric but can also be an effective residential mold remover. Mix 1 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water and spray the mixture directly on the mold. This process should kill the mold in no time.
Keep in mind, though, that chlorine can be harsh. While it gets rid of mold, it also discolors most surfaces. Dilute it well, use it sparingly, and, most importantly, test first using a tiny drop.
One reason why people prefer hydrogen peroxide to chlorine bleach is that it's less harsh. Also, only a little concentration (3%) is required to kill mold and remove stains. Plus, it leaves no residue or fumes; thus, you can use it for other purposes like treating infected wounds and whitening teeth. It, however, works slower than chlorine bleach.
Distilled White Vinegar
Vinegar is good at killing mold because of its acidic nature. It consists of water and acetic acid. The acetic acid slowly breaks down the structure of the mold. On the downside, because it is gentle, stubborn mold stains may remain after DIY removal. You will need additional scrubbing to remove the stains. For better results, mix it with borax or baking soda.
You can also use alcohol for mold removal. While it may not be as effective as other products, alcohol can hinder the growth of mold and mildew. When mixed with water and rubbed on surfaces, alcohol can stop mold growth. A perk of using it is that it does not damage or bleach fabrics.
You can do the job yourself if the mold problem hasn't gotten out of hand. Otherwise, you may want to hire residential mold removal services. These services charge a fee for mold removal, but they do a thorough clean-up.
Contact a local mold removal service to learn more.Share